Re: hello. Please help this big report go in the correct direction....

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:38:18AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Timothy Danielson wrote:
> > don't read it if you feel huried,) I Respect what you do and I REALLY,
> > REALLY hate to ask for this level of assistance. I'm using PureOS, which I
> > guess is a derivative of Debian. I had started with 7.0 (Wheezy) and went
> > to 8.0. I never had the gonads to use Sid TBH. I ran the stables. Although
> > I ws a TINY variant by running a KDE desktop. I also had XFCE and LXDE?
> > installed, for really no other reason than I had read about them and
> > certain authors SWORE by them so I gave them a whirl.
>

> It appears that PureOS is a derivative of Debian. That means
> that the people responsible for PureOS changed Debian to suit
> their needs. Nobody outside of PureOS's maintainers and users is
> familiar with what they changed, so Debian users can only offer
> you limited help.
>
> It looks like PureOS doesn't have a mailing list or forum for
> their users, only a wiki and a bug tracker at:
>
> https://tracker.pureos.net/
>
> In this case, there appear to be two issues:
>
> > I messed up! there was a process that dely I umped more info and it
> > overwrote! ARRRGHH! I will try to reproduce it
> >
> > https://www.maketecheasier.com/backup-files-to-google-drive-linux/
> >
> > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alessandro-strada/ppa

Which distribution is this for? At a guess, Ubuntu since that's what is shown
on screen and _most_ PPAs have been created for Ubuntu.

Contact Alexander Strada is the only advice, I think, if it doesn't work as
a package. You run the risk of creating a FrankenDebian - a mixture from all
sorts of distributions which is almost always a problem in itself. In this
instance, one package may be relatively easy to fix.

> First issue: nobody except Alessandro Strada knows the contents
> of the packages in this repository. You should seek help from
> him.
>
> > sudo apt update && sudo apt install google-drive-ocamlfuse
> >
> > mkdir -p ~/mount/google-drive
> >
> > I believe I created this dir and this is where the headaches started:
>
> Creating that directory is unlikely to a problem in and of
> itself.
>
> > timdanielson@td546:~$ google-drive-ocamlfuse ~/mount/google-drive
> > Could not find the database of available applications, run
> > update-command-not-found as root to fix this
> > Sorry, command-not-found has crashed! Please file a bug report at:
> > http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> > Please include the following information with the report:
> >
> > command-not-found version: 0.3
> > Python version: 3.7.3 final 0
> > Distributor ID: PureOS
> > Release:        9.0
> > Codename:       amber
>
> This is not a problem with google-drive-ocamlfuse itself, though
> problems there might exist. This is a problem with a package
> literally called "command-not-found", which PureOS installed.
>
> You might fix this problem with
>
> sudo update-command-not-found
>
> or that might not help.

command-not-found also exists in Debian. It looks at the command you're trying
to run - if the package isn't installed, it offers to help you install the
package.

The command given above is the command that initialises command-not-found
database so it is hightly likely that this will work to update an existing
database and fix the problem for you.

All the very best,

Andy C.