Re: Can't connect to torproject.org

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 11:06:24AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 16:32:10 +0200
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 10:25:24AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > > I feel silly for not being able to figure this out.
> > >
> > > I can't connect to torproject.org via either Firefox or Chromium. The
> > > browsers object that HSTS is in place and they don't recognize the
> > > site's certificate (SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER). There's no opportunity
> > > offered to add an exception.
> >
> > Funny. I just tried https://torproject.org/ with firefox (78.8.0esr)
> > and it didn't complain.
>
> I have no problem accepting that there's something wrong with my
> configuration - I assume there is, since if it's a general problem, I'd
> expect a lot more discussion / complaining online - but I just can't
> figure out what it is. And whatever it is, it's affecting both Firefox
> and Chromium.
>
> > That said, I definitely remember struggling with situations à la
> > "no, I won't let you connect to that site because the certificate
> > is BAD and I know better than you, dammit".
> >
> > Each of those times I haven't changed my browser for lack of less-bad
> > alternatives :-(

OK. I spotted my notes from back then. There were some expletives
there I won't repeat here.

What helped in my case was (Firefox):

  rm SecurityPreloadState.txt SiteSecurityServiceState.txt

in whatever Mozilla profile you use (they are top-level in the
profile directory), i.e. typically ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxx.default
with some funny value for xxxxx.

I'm a bit short on time to check whether this just repeats one of
the solutions given in your links.

Good luck
 - t