Re: .profile not being src'd at login on uptodate buster

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 07:50:23AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> What about addressing his primary point rather than what in my
> benefit-of-the-doubt humor I construe as a typographical oversight?

I don't remember what the "primary point" was.  Was it the same as
the Subject: header -- .profile not being read at login?  Yeah, we
know about that.  We've already addressed that.

.profile is only read at login time if you login to a shell -- e.g.
using ssh or a text console login.  (And of course, only if your
login shell actually reads .profile.  Shells like tcsh which read
different files obviously won't read it -- and they wouldn't be
able to handle it anyway, because they use different syntax.)

It is not read if you login to an X session using a graphical Display
Manager.

It MAY be read if you login to a Wayland session using a graphical
Display Manager.  I don't have Wayland stuff installed to test.