Re: How to save filtered less results in a file or on stdout

On 2021-04-06, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue 06 Apr 2021 at 01:09:09 (+0100), jr wrote:
>> on Mon, 5 Apr 2021 17:44:28 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> > If you are willing to learn (neo)vim, '(n)vim -R' as 'view' can be used
>> > instead of 'less', with all the power of an advanced editor at your
>> > disposal.
>
> … or '| vim -R -' or even '| vim -' in place of '| less'.
>
> But I don't know how vim would do on-the-fly filtering like
> less can do with & (not being very familiar with vim).

 :g/pattern/.w! >> output.txt

I pressed 'v' in less, searched a pattern and wrote the filtered output
to a file using the method above. Seemed to work except the results of
the filtering are not visualized using this method. Of course, you can
visualize them prior to writing the results to a file (:g/pattern).
Maybe a little fastidious.