Re: Modern best practice for putting a contact email on the web

On Mon, 05 Apr 2021 21:31:16 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > I use some GMX accounts, and they apparently don't support plus
> > addressing (I just tried, and the message was refused with "550
> > Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable."). I suppose it would be
> > nice if they did support it, but I can't really fault them for not
> > supporting a non-standard Google invention.
>
> It predates Google by a long shot.
> It was a fairly standard config option back in the days of sendmail+procmail.

Thanks for the correction. I just haven't been able to figure out how
much of a "standard" it actually is. Some RFCs (e.g.,
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5233) acknowledge it as existing ("On
email systems that allow for 'subaddressing' or 'detailed
addressing' (e.g., "ken+sieve@example.org") ..."), but it doesn't seem
to be a formal standard.

Celejar