Re: Temporary failure in name resolution

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 10:21:08 +0200
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 08:57:20AM +0100, Joe wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > think even then that most of them had oriental firmware, and my
> > opinion of even Japanese code is that it isn't wonderful. Hardware
> > great,
>
> Given the generally pitiful state of the software trade all over the
> place, the geographically biased slurs you indulge in in the above
> phrases seem less-than-warranted for.
>
> It's not as if there weren't *cough* *Microsoft* western *cough*
> *Cisco* examples of *cough* *Apple* stellar failures in soft- and
> firmware.

Agreed, one of the many 'spare' routers I have is a Cisco-badged one,
bought specifically because it advertised Radius compatibility. Yes, I
know most routers do now, but this was a while ago. It took me a while
to work it out, but it had a bug which under most circumstances forgot
the Radius configuration. I spent some time with iptables and wireshark
before working this out, along with the workaround, bearing in mind
this was also my first attempt at running freeradius. Too many things
to get right all at once. Yes, I did it in the end.

But I've been associated with a household-name Japanese company for
around forty years, and I've used many examples of their software,
both public and private. I know what I'm talking about. And I've
recently had experience of several examples of software in Chinese
products, which was presumably written either in China or somewhere
even cheaper.

--
Joe