Re: Disk errors ...

Michael Stone wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:45:25AM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Dennis Wicks wrote:
Greetings;

I am getting very frequent disk errors and I can't figure out which drive they are occurring on. I get two messages:

[174384.704895] sata_sil 0000:05:00.0: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0x00000000cf99c100 flags=0x0000]

[174384.705153] AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=05:00.0 domain=0x0000 address=0x00000000df853000 flags=0x0000]

Several of each of them occur at once, every few seconds.
Is there any way that I can figure out which drive is causing the problem?

1. Run diagnostics on each drive (say, the SMART long diagnostic) - that should get you the disk id 2. Run the diagnostics again, on just your failing drive, look for the drive with the flashing light 3. Depending on how old the drive is, your problem is probably a failing drive

Again, this is a PCI error, not a disk error. I think the OP never did specify the CPU & motherboard? There have been hard to track down AMD IOMMU issues with symptoms like this, I'd pursue that long before I'd run disk scans.
I agree - probably not a disk error - though it never hurts to check one's drives every once in a while.

What makes you think it's a PCI error?  A quick google shows that this particular error has been associated with various configuration issues & driver bugs - particularly related to NVIDIA cards. Perhaps a pointer to the documentation on the specific driver reporting the error?  (Personally "page fault" could well just indicate normal swapping behavior under load.)

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown