Re: Anyone using a Displayport to VGA adapter?

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 06:27:15PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 05:36:13 PM Michael Stone wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:50:38PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>Is anyone on here using a Displayport to VGA adapter?  If so:
>   * How's it working?
>   * Does it handle at least 1920x1080 resolution?
>
>If anybody has used both a Displayport to VGA adapter ands a USB-3.1 to
>VGA adapter, do you have an opinion as to which does better?

What is the use case for this?

After failing to find a laptop to meet my needs, I'm now looking for a mini-PC
to almost meet my needs.  It has to be small due to space constraints, e.g.,
something like 7x7x2 and it needs to have a VGA output because I'm going to
run it through my existing VGA KVM switch.

Several of the ones I've found that look promising do not have a VGA port but,
in many cases only one (or two) DisplayPort(s).

Ok, just trying to make sure I'm properly understanding the directionality and such. I'd basically consider what you're looking for to be a commodity. They're going to have a zillion different names on the outside, and only a couple of different chips on the inside. Pick one from amazon or whatever, and if it doesn't work send it back and pick a different one. (The other way, VGA output to digital input, is less common and seems to have more variation.)

FWIW, I'd do anything, including running multiple video cables around the KVM, to avoid doing a lot of work on an analog input again--it's never as crisp as digital.