Re: old red cables cause Disk errors ...

Michael Howard composed on 2021-01-13 22:57 (UTC):

> David Christensen wrote:

>> Michael Stone wrote:

>>> Make sure you wear a beaded neckless while doing that under a full moon.

>> I used to think "a cable is a cable, color does not matter", but I
>> have experienced many storage hardware issues over the years that were
>> caused by red SATA cables.  Other readers on this list have had
>> similar experiences.  The explanation is chemistry -- the red dye
>> slowly corrodes the conductors and/or contacts.

> Very interesting, if true, and I'm not saying it isn't. I too have had

It's been posted time and again in various forums. IME the problem seems to be
limited to a more or less crimson or wild cherry shade of red:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1426/0052/products/reds_0246cf19-67e7-4e1e-93d7-ef51f4cb3d8a_2000x.png?v=1601311774

> cable problems with those thin red efforts but put it down to them not
> being of the locking variety or just bad quality.
Dye that causes corrosion == bad quality. :)
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/