Re: Disk errors ...

On 2021-01-13 14:34, Michael Stone wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 01:55:37PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:

If you have any red SATA cables, replace them with new black SATA 6

Make sure you wear a beaded neckless while doing that under a full moon.

I used to think "a cable is a cable, color does not matter", but I have experienced many storage hardware issues over the years that were caused by red SATA cables. Other readers on this list have had similar experiences. The explanation is chemistry -- the red dye slowly corrodes the conductors and/or contacts. Since replacing all of my red SATA cables with black locking 6 Gbps SATA cables, all of my storage hardware issues have been due to failed HDD's.

David