Re: simple-scan fails with Canon LiDE 300--except as root

Yes, I can at least scan. I'll keep fiddling, but the important thing is that I can use it.

OK, thank you so much for your help, and sorry for the top-post at the end.

On Saturday, January 9, 2021, 08:44:25 AM EST, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Sat 09 Jan 2021 at 13:22:30 +0000, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

>    On Saturday, January 9, 2021, 08:07:37 AM EST, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>  > On Sat 09 Jan 2021 at 12:55:07 +0000, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> >
> > Can you scan by choosing airscan, eSCL (note the lower case e), from
> > simple-scan's drop-down menu.
>
> This did work at first, and I was very excited! However, it worked on
> a text scan; whenI tried an image scan, it hung for several minutes
> with the error"Unable to find colord device airscan:e0:Canon LiDE 300
> (USB): property match 'Serial'='sane:airscan:e0:Canon LiDE 300 (USB)'
> does not exist",and then after that I was unable to do another text
> scan--with no error, it justhung.

This is now getting above my pay grade, Jennifer. Could be a simple-scan
bug or one in the device's firmware or in sane-airscan. Try switching
the Canon off and disconnecting from USB. Re-power and re-plug after
about a minute.

> > >  > xsane ?
> > > I don't have xsane installed. Is that just for background info? I've
> > > used it in the past, and always foundit far too complicated to bother
> > > with.
> >
> > You can always remove it afterwards, but I wanted to know which of
> > the options it offers work. A preview is enough to do.
> xsane works perfectly, whether or specify airscan from the
> commandline, orif I just run it bare and then select either the pixma
> or the eSCL airscandevice from the select box.

This, at least, gives you working scanning.

--
Brian.