Re: simple-scan fails with Canon LiDE 300--except as root

On 08/01/2021 22:39, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
After using a rather old Canon scanner for many years, I recently upgraded to the Canon LiDE 300,
and installed the drivers as directed, on a Bullseye system (10.2.0-17).

The printer is recognized:

$ scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A91913_47A8A4' is a CANON CanoScan LiDE 300 multi-function peripheral
device `escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000' is a Canon LiDE 300 (USB) flatbed scanner

When I run simple-scan, it detects the printer and announces itself ready to go, but when I try
to scan anything, I get the message "Failed to scan Unable to connect to scanner". I Googled for
anything related to this; there's a bunch of stuff on Ubuntu and Mint forums about purging the
"ippusbxd" package, but this isn't on Debian.

I then ran simple-scan with the debug flag, and at the moment I try to initiate a scan, I got:

[+20.83s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:1817: Requesting scan at 150 dpi from device
[+20.83s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1683: Scanner.scan ("escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000", dpi=150,
scan_mode=ScanMode.GRAY, depth=2, type=single, paper_width=0, paper_height=0, brightness=0,
contrast=0, delay=3000ms)
[+20.83s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:828: Processing request
[+20.83s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:889: sane_open ("escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000") ->
SANE_STATUS_NO_MEM
[+20.83s] WARNING: scanner.vala:893: Unable to open device: Out of memory

I'm not sure what could be going on, as I have a ton of memory on my system.

I don't know why I tried this, but I then ran simple-scan as root, and...it worked perfectly.

I'm bewildered by this--any idea what I should be looking at?

If something works as root, but not as a standard user, it's usually permissions. Is the user a member of the correct groups etc?

--
Michael Howard