Why is idle not detected?

Hi,

I am running Debian 10 and sometimes idle is not detected correctly on my
(KDE) system and the desktop is not going to suspend.

A typical candidate is a not correctly terminating vlc process which does not
have a screen anymore but is still alive. Sometimes I cannot find out what
causes the problem.

Is there a way to find out what is the holding back the idle detection?

I am thinking of something like doing a dry-run of the idle detection by cron
with a report every few minutes and log the report (without actually
triggering suspend if idle is detected). Whenever idle is not detected
properly, the log file would tell the reason.

Any idea or hint is welcome.

Many thanks
Rainer

--