Re: HBA or SATA PCIe card FSC TX150 S7 Server

basti wrote:
> Hello,
> we have a old FSC TX150 S7 Server and need more disk space.
> So we want to by a https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=153.
> The diskspace is used as fileserver / simple HDD no SSD and the network
> connection is 1Gbit round about 100mb/s.
> So I think sata 3.0 is just more speed then needed.
> I want to use it as software raid.
>
> So far so good.
>
> The LSI 1068e (aka FSC D2607-A11) is offical supported by FSC but not in
> IT-mode (JBOD).

Ignore what FSC says. If it's "old", it's not being supported
anyway.

> So I'am not sure if I use the LSI 1068e and flash a unoffical firmware
> (the original LSI one) or to use a simple SATA extension card.
>
> Can someone recommend a SATA extension card for server usage?
> What's about performence?
> I'am not sure if a SATA extension card for lets say 50??? can have the
> same read/write speed as a LSI HBA card in JBOD / software raid mode?

I would buy an LSI 2008-4i or -8i, flash it into IT mode, and use mdadm
or ZFS depending on which I felt more comfortable with. An Avago
9211-8i (2008) is $55 here in the US.

If money were very tight, I would buy any AHCI SATA3 card and
use that.

-dsr-