Re: AMD Radeon 6490M

On 04.01.21 04:24, Felix Miata wrote:
> LuKaRo composed on 2021-01-04 03:24 (UTC+0100):
>
> Did you check to see if there is a way in the BIOS to disable the Radeon?
Unfortunately, no, because this is a MacBook, and Apple does not allow such settings
> Getting "dual graphics" or "hybrid graphics" going on a laptop is a common
> problem. I don't have any, but I see a lot of threads about getting them going.
> With Intel and NVidia together, this is called "Optimus".
I'd be comfortable with blacklisting the NVidia graphics and just using the Intel one for example. I just don't know how to do this. Maybe with some kind of special Xorg config?
> Your 6490M is a "Terascale" class Radeon, so don't let anything you might read
> about "Southern Islands" or "Sea Islands" waste your time.
>
> Start with a read of this driver primer (which applies to all distros, not just
> openSUSE), to avoid potential confusion when you see the word "driver":
> <https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/541438-AMD-Intel-amp-NVidia-X-graphics-driver-primer>.
> You may wish to try a bit of what you find there.
Thanks for the tip, it was a good read!
> Try hitting escape as soon as the screen goes black. Do you get a stream of text
> messages? If yes, do you see any clues? You can make the messages more permanent
> by reconfiguring in /etc/default/grub's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line to
> exclude quiet and changing splash=silent to splash=verbose or omitting it
> altogether, possibly needing instead or in addition one of the following:
>
> 	noplymouth
> 	plymouth=0
> 	plymouth.enable=0
The initramfs does not even work when the amd firmware is installed, e.g. I don't even get the password prompt for my encrypted rootfs which is the first step in the boot procedure. Pressing escape doesn't give any additional information, either.