Re: Nvidia Optimus, Debian 10, and Firefox ESR crashes

(Re-ordered for clarity.)

On 2021-01-03 04:01, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On 2021-01-02 05:23, Darac Marjal wrote:

On 01/01/2021 23:51, David Christensen wrote:
I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with Nvidia Optimus graphics:

I have disabled Optimus in the CMOS Setup:

Video -> Optimus -> Enable Optimus -> unchecked

Optimus has (finally) become natively supported by the Proprietary NVIDIA driver recently (it's just a matter of
running an application the environment variable
__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD set to 1 and that process will use the
dGPU).

2021-01-02 13:45:52 root@dipsy ~ # lsmod | sort Module Size  Used
by

button                 16384  1 nouveau

drm 495616 6 drm_kms_helper,ttm,nouveau drm_kms_helper 208896 1 nouveau

i2c_algo_bit           16384  1 nouveau

mxm_wmi                16384  1 nouveau

ttm                   126976  1 nouveau

video                  49152  3 dell_wmi,dell_laptop,nouveau

dell_wmi,wmi_bmof,dell_smbios,dell_wmi_descriptor,mxm_wmi,nouveau

If you can afford to reinstall the machine: change the option back above. Do an expert text mode install which should work using basic graphics. Do _NOT_ install a desktop environment or anything much more than a> bare text mode only system. Finish the install. Reboot.
At that point, install the proprietary drivers. Then, and only then,
use tasksel to install a desktop environment which will pick up the
Nividia proprietary driver and use that to drive the desktop.

If nouveau is installed, you then have a significant problem installing the proprietary drivers hence the suggestion to re-install. I found this out the hard way with a laptop a little while ago that was using Optimus :(

As they say -- "there is no substitute for experience".

That sounds like a viable work-around.  Thank you.  :-)

David