Re: Monitor Problem???

On 01/03/2021 11:39 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 03 Jan 2021 at 06:58:24 (-0500), Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
My main computer runs  Debian Buster and is displaying some unusual
behavior.

The monitor is blanking, without warning, at random times, and
restoring the screen  while I working. There is no warning, nor does
the computer seem to be overheating (I continuously monitor the
temperature).

I rather suspect that it may be a hardware problem. I keep the
software up to date.

I am querying this group because I can't think of a more knowledgeable
source. Any thoughts and suggestions of things that I might be able to
test will be very welcome.
What sort of connection do you have between the computer and the
monitor? We have an HP Spectre that developed an unreliable HDMI
socket within 27 months. The symptoms were as you described.
Being a laptop, the cure was to run the display through the
USB-C port with a hub (dual HDMI, ethernet, dual USB3).

OTOH the worst I've experienced with VGA was flickering colour
balance from dirty/worn pins.

Cheers,
David.

The monitor is hardwired to a switch that, in turn, is hardwired to my main Linux Platform and an older Linux computer.

Rebooting the system seems (at least, so far) to have remediated the problem.

Many thanks for your reply. I knew I could rely on the mailing list.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net