Re: Monitor Problem???

On Sunday 03 January 2021 06:58:24 Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> My main computer runs  Debian Buster and is displaying some unusual
> behavior.
>
> The monitor is blanking, without warning, at random times, and
> restoring the screen  while I working. There is no warning, nor does
> the computer seem to be overheating (I continuously monitor the
> temperature).

That has the marks of an older, ccfl backlit, screen with either the
flourescent tube or its power supply caps, on the way out. If, when the
back has been removed, you see some alu cans with plastic film printed
wrappers, and the tops are bulged out, they'll need to be replaced by
suitable very low ESR replacements. But that will generally need a full
blown soldering station ($100 and up) and some expertise at soldering.
If you have both, piece of cake, if not, take it to someone who does, or
replace it. Modern led backlit monitors are generally brighter and use
less power.

If that someone has a CET plaque on the wall like I do, that's a definite
plus.

> I rather suspect that it may be a hardware problem. I keep the
> software up to date.
>
> I am querying this group because I can't think of a more knowledgeable
> source. Any thoughts and suggestions of things that I might be able to
> test will be very welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)