Re: recommendations for supported, affordable hardware raid controller.

On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 09:23:02AM -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> Im afraid I have to agree with this advice. In the presence of software
> like ZFS (from Sun) and LVM (from IBM's AIX), with easy availability of
> NAS, SAN and cloud storage, the arguments in favor of hardware RAID local
> to a server become much thinner. What drives that change is the evolution
> of hardware and networking, not so much the software. Both ZFS and LVM are
> now 20 years old, very mature software.

If you have H/W raid and the controller breaks (it will do if you use it long
enough) then you need to replace it by the same/similar controller. A few years
down the line this might be hard and may take some time.

When you use S/W raid then you do not have this problem. Replace the broken
controller or move the disks to a new machine, do a bit of config and you are
back in action.

You sound like an individual: the compatible H/W controller might be a problem.

If you were a business then keeping a few replacement controllers is affordable
so the balance is different.

My 2 pence.

--
Alain Williams