Re: Open Source Flash Alternatives

On 2021-01-02 at 06:45, deloptes wrote:

> Kenneth Parker wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2021, 10:29 AM Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Since Adobe Flash is going the way of the Dodo Bird, I thought
>>> I'd check up on Open Source Alternatives, since I have some
>>> Standalone .swf files (games, etc).
>>>
>>> Two came up in my searches, Lightspark (which seems to be, mainly
>>> a Plug-in), and Ghu Gnash, which I like better, since it works as
>>> a Standalone Program.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem available
>>> in Bullseye (and Search didn't find it for Buster either).  It
>>> DOES show up in Stretch, but that's on a different machine than
>>> where my .swf files are.
>
> Why would you need this. update your sites to HTML5. until then use
> the official flash

The official Flash Player is reportedly going to stop working, abruptly
and en masse, on January 12th. Adobe built in a "time bomb" for this
purpose with the last several released versions.

> - otherwise how would you guarantee that it is working on each
> browser and platform - for example mobile phone, tablets etc.?

You can't, any more than you can guarantee that those have the Player
installed to begin with.

That said, the question was not about Websites, but about standalone
local SWF files, for which it's a much more reasonable question; I have
a few of those myself which I'd like to be able to continue playing when
the whim strikes me. For those, I haven't found any better suggestion
than Ruffle, linked elsewhere in the thread - and I haven't gotten that
working yet myself, apparently in part because of its hardware requirements.

--
   The Wanderer