Re: mdadm usage

On Sb, 02 ian 21, 06:28:24, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2021-01-02 at 05:58, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > How many package versions do you keep around?
>
> Basically all of them. In theory I go in and delete the oldest unneeded
> ones from time to time, but in practice that hasn't happened much.
>
> On previous systems I investigated things like autoclean, but AFAIR I
> never identified a way to get such a mechanism to keep the .deb files I
> might want to use for reinstallation without keeping more than
> necessary, and after a while it stopped being worth the while.
>
> I believe I remember at least one mechanism which specifically provides
> a way to delete only .deb files which cannot be re-downloaded. While
> that's sensible from a clean-out-old-files perspective, from a
> keep-important-files one it strikes me as backwards; if they can be
> re-downloaded, then I don't strictly need the local copy in order to
> reinstall them.
>
> At the very least, I'd need to be able to keep the .deb files for
> whatever version is presently installed - and probably more than that,
> given that I do sometimes try installing a newer version and then decide
> to downgrade again (thus requiring not only the older version's .deb,
> but those for some of the packages it depends on).

'apt[-get] autoclean' with APT:Clean-Installed set to off might be a
good start, see apt-get(8).

> > My laptop is indeed on a 30 GiB partition, but using only 14 GiB. I
> > do (auto)clean the package cache more or less regularly though, even
> > on unstable installs.
>
> That's a bit more sensible, although it still strikes me as fairly
> limiting in terms of how much can be installed.

With all packages I need already installed I'm barely using 50%. How is
that limiting?

> > It's probably best to define what I mean by "installation". For me
> > this means that if I were to install the same set of packages on a
> > blank partition I would end up with about the same size.
>
> That's roughly the definition I was using, yes.
>
> > 100 GiB (excluding /home and other "data" storages) should be
> > plenty.
>
> Yeah, if you'd given that figure initially I probably wouldn't have even
> replied to begin with. It's less than I'd allocate, given the disk sizes
> I have to work with, but it's well within sane ranges for a sysadmin to
> choose even by my standards.

I meant "plenty" as in "almost wasteful" ;)

But then again, I'm used to getting by with limited storage space. I
could probably fit all my data in 1 TiB.

Kind regards,
Andrei