Re: Label printer Debian compatible

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 11:58 Russell L. Harris <russell@rlharris.org> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 05:26:15AM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 21:12 Russell L. Harris <russell@rlharris.org> wrote:
>
>    OKI Microline 320 Turbo via USB
>    CUPS ("raw" = no driver)
>    tractor-feed labels
>

>Forgive my ignorance, but how would I get data to the printer in the form I
>want?  Am I going to have to use some low-level format or proprietary codes for
>the device?

Tom,

My scheme is crude, but it works for the 9-pin printer with 3-1/2 x
1-7/16 labels (Avery # 4060).

I keep a directory in which each file is a 9-line (unformatted)
address label, as per this template:

1 - alignment: this line should print
2
3 - print line #1
4 - print line #2
5 - print line #3
6 - print line #4
7 - print line #5
8
9 - blank line with Carriage Return at end

and this sample (rlh-pobox):

Russell L. Harris
Post Office Box 89
Smithville, Texas 78957

To print three copies of the label, I use the command:

lpr -P oki -# 3 rlh-pobox

Printing 3 labels positions one above the tear-off point.

Sometimes when printing several label files, the printer starts on the
wrong line (not the first line of the label), necessitating alignment.
Perhaps I miscounted lines on some of the labels.

I use the local panel on the printer to select the font and pitch.

I can provide CUPS setup, but with some difficulty due to a stroke I
suffered two months ago which severely inhibits my ability to type.

RLH

Thanks, Russell.

-Tom