Re: recommendations for supported, affordable hardware raid controller.

Steven Mainor wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for a 6 or 8 port SATA hardware raid
> controller that will hopefully be supported by the kernel and/or open source
> drivers to put in my desktop computer. Any input welcome, thanks.

Having used them for 20+ years now, I strongly recommend against
hardware RAID controllers. Hardware SAS/SATA interfaces with
mdadm or ZFS are better in every one of my use cases.

That said, the best devices of these kinds are basically the
same:

LSI 2000 and 3000 series
Broadcom BR93xx
Areca anything