Re: Webcam resolution in VLC (and elsewhere)

Le mercredi 30 décembre 2020 à 16:40:06 UTC+1, Celejar a écrit :
[...]
> 1) Why does VLC default to the lower resolution? Incidentally, I see
> that Cheese also opens the camera by default at a lower resolution -
> but a different one: 960x540. Why? Is this to save space when recording?

I don't know: one possibility is that either Linux or VLC/Cheese incorrectly detects the webcam resolution? Another possibility could be a marketing trick: an higher resolution is claimed through interpolation  while actual optical resolution is lower.

> 2) VLC's GUI doesn't seem to offer any way to set the resolution.
> I see all kind of references on the internet to knobs to turn to set
> resolution, but none of them seem available in my VLC when using a v4l2
> camera. Why?

I use VLC from Buster. the following is the rough english translation of my VLC that is in french.

- To set up the resolution of the webcam for a session and begin the session:  Media>Open a capture device, then set up the capture mode to video camera, click on advanced options button and fill the width and height fields.
- To set up the default resolution of the webcam: Tools>Preferences, then click on display parameters: all, then input/codecs>access modules>v4l, fill the width and height fields