Re: swamp rat bots Q

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 12:06:41PM -0600, grumpy@mailfence.com wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020, Reco wrote:
>
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 08:39:42AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > But I asked specifically how to enable it for one bot, and I've asked
> > > that question several times, getting smoke and mirror answers you all
> > > assume are helpfull, but which are useless to a new user installing the
> > > now 7 years old and long out of date package that in effect has no "how
> > > it works" docs. I asked 3 questions in a previous day or so timeline,
> > > and no one has actually attempted to actually answer even one of them.
> > > Here is one line from that log: and that I just blocked:
> > >
> > > coyote.coyote.den:80 192.99.6.226 - -
> > > [04/Dec/2020:07:18:20 -0500] "GET /gene/toolshed/c3/build/win32/prep/?C=S;O=D
> > > HTTP/1.1" 200 673 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MJ12bot/v1.4.8;
> > > http://mj12bot.com/)"
> >
> > Taken directly from the link.
> >
> > Bot Type         Good crawler (always identifies itself)
> > IP Range         Distributed, Worldwide
> > Obeys Robots.txt *Yes*
> > Obeys Crawl Delay Yes
> > Data served at    Majestic.com
> >
> > I kindly suggest to all debian-user members to reflect on this, and to
> > stop this pointless discussion.
>
> many times i have needed help and it takes a while for all the
> suggestions to coalesce

In this particular case it's third Gene's attempt (counting this year
only and only at d-u) to solve this "problem".
Suffice to say that previous attempts have not coalesced anything, and
this one will not too.

> i kindly suggest that your opinion is pointless

Wow, I must've hit a nerve there.
But I'm not offended, so prove me wrong.

What's *your* suggestion for solving this problem?

Reco