Re: Instructions for command line usage of WiFi.

On Sunday 29 November 2020 05:32:04 Richard Hector wrote:

> On 28/11/20 9:58 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Nominal power drain was about 250kwh an hour
>
> That's about 250kW then? :-)

Yes. The original install had a 250kw sola transformer but it was
destroyed by a lightning strike, so it got bypassed, which actually
helped the technical operation by removing the noise choking effect of
that ton of iron, allowing the local power powerline to absorb to a
large extent, the 6 times per hz noise pulse cause by the slow recovery
of the high voltage rectifiers, which had the effect of short circuiting
the phase with the rising voltage to the decaying voltage of the phase
going down. That was about 15 microseconds, 6 times an incoming HZ, and
was not only visible as a noise bar slowly running thru the broadcast
picture, but was also hell on other stuff plugged into normal wall plugs
due the the sudden switch as the diodes finally recovered, which put a
nominally 1 kilovolt noise spike sitting on the 127 volts from the wall.

Small stuff that ran on 10 watts would suffer random instances of a
failed 2 amp fuse due to the cumulative effect of that heat pulse
causing a crystalization and eventual fatigue failure of the fuse link
metal. The fuse wasn't blown. just broken.  The rectifiers could have
been replaced with faster ones, but when there are 6 of the sticks about
6 feet long, a 3 phase bridge developing 20 kilovolts for klystron beam
power with 72 big diodes per stick, the replacements would have cost
something north of $10k so it never got done. Transmitters using
klystron amplifiers do not change their power draw with the brightness
of the picture and the nearly 6 amps of beam current is not modulated by
the video, only the beam velocity is modulated.  And at 20 kv, the
electrons are moving at definitely relatavistic speeds and that leads to
video distortions we didn't then know how to predistort in the opposite
to cancel. Now we do have such. The effect is that of changing the
length of the tube according to the power level of the output, and
was/is caused by the increased mass of the electron as it speeds up, and
the decreased mass as it slows down. You could slow them, but you
couldn't speed them up to match because they got heavier when sped up,
so at high power levels the tube effectively got longer causing timing
distortions in the amplified signal. That to me, was prima faci evidence
that Einstein was right. And our experiments since have proved him right
to a considerable number of zeros to the right of the decimal point.

Your trivia factoid overload for the day.

Due to the operating expense of such a transmitter, not the least of
which was the $125,000 cost of a new tube at 5 year or so intervals, and
each NTSC transmitter used 2 of them, newer technology has replaced them
and I doubt there are any left on the air here in the US today.
Technical considerations has little to do with it, the bean counters
will spend the sheckels to reduce the monthly power bill, they have that
choice or have the last man out of the building turn off the lights and
lock the door. It really is that simple.
> Richard

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis