Getting "logged" out of GNOME on tty1 if switching to other ttys (Wayland)

Hey,
I reinstalled Debian (bullseye) today and I noticed two changes. Earlier, both tty1 and tty2 were graphical
consoles with GNOME running. Everything was pretty smooth and I could switch back and forth between
the consoles easily.
But now, there's only one graphical console running on tty1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and the rest are character consoles.
I don't know what resulted in this change. (Was there some update between yesterday and today?)
The problem is that whenever I switch to another tty (Ctrl-Shift-FX where X !=1) and I come back, I am
"logged" out of my session in tty1. I am asked to enter my password again and the Debian logo is seen at the
bottom, which is not the case if a session is "locked". When I lock my screen, I would see a simple digital clock
which I don't see when I come back from another tty. Also, my programs aren't closed when I come back to
tty1.
I suspect this has something to do with GDM. Any help?

Vishal