Re: Problem with /var/mail file > 2GB with pop3

On Wed 25 Nov 2020 at 17:56:27 (+0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2020-11-25, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > There's a big difference between the requirements for your local
> > storage when using POP compared with IMAP. When using POP in a
> > conventional manner (transfer, and delete at the server end), you
> > need reliable local storage. And you also need reliable file locking
> > at least when you're using mbox files.
>
> The requirements may be different, but here, using Alpine, I think the
> local storage format is identical and unrelated to the protocol used
> on the server end (POP or IMAP).

So it should be, assuming "here" means on your local computer systems.
But I'm not talking about which form of local storage you've chosen to
use, nor even which forms are available to you.

Perhaps I should be more specific about what I mean by "requirements".
I don't mean required by the protocol, nor the computer system, nor
anything else, but by any sensible user making serious use of emails
for more than trivia.

Using IMAP, it's an easy matter to make sure that an email is secure
and backed up before you delete it from the server. Using POP in a
conventional manner (deliberately or involuntarily), that's more
difficult. My requirements would be a RAID filesystem, UPS, and online
backup were I forced to use POP.

Cheers,
David.