Re: Why use an email client AND sendmail/popa3d

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 20:11:29 +0000
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 09:13:03 -0500
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 09:03:21 +0000
> > Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> > > proper email client or webmail. I have to admit I use a netbook
> > > while away from home, as I have both "smart"phone and tablet, but
> > > they are extremely limited toys and they are owned by Google. If I
> > > need a mobile computer, then I want a real computer, and one where
> > > I have root access.
> >
> > A smartphone running something like LineageOS is not really owned by
> > Google (although there are still the very real problems of binary
> > blobs and the baseband black box stuff). If you get one with an
> > unlocked bootloader, you can have root as well. They're certainly not
> > quite the same thing as a "real" computer, admittedly.
> >

> I'm not really comfortable about downloading a random rooting tool from

Fair points, certainly. But things like LineageOS, TWRP, and Magisk are
not just "random rooting tools" - they are legitimate, well-established
open source projects (although I would concede that they are probably
somewhat less "adult" and responsible than something like the Debian
project we know and love ;))

> the Net, and I have the impression, rightly or wrongly, that writers of
> software for phones and tablets take the same kind of proprietorial
> view of other peoples' devices as writers of Windows software.

Well, that's probably true of developers in the mainstream smartphone
ecosystems, but I don't think it is generally true of the FLOSS
developers for such devices, and particularly not with regard to the
members of sub-communities like F-Droid.

> That's my main objection to using Windows: not so much the OS itself as
> the tendency for writers of software to believe that they own *my*
> computer, and can do what they like with it and with my data.

Certainly.

Celejar