Re: Why use an email client AND sendmail/popa3d

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 23:34:56 -0600  David Wright
<deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

Interesting. I'll try it next time I want to use a comment from one
thread as a separate topic.  BUT I wrote a totally new subject line.
Surely that is removing 'Re: '

I'd appreciate a good explanation if somebody is up to it.

>>> It would appear so. I guess you could also have removed the Re:
>>> from the subject line.

>>> Disadvantages of using your email client to send might include:
>>> . sending is relatively instant as the client is dispatching
>>>   it to the same machine, not the remote smarthost,

So I wouldn't get the message saying the note is being sent by the
client - because that bit is 'instantaneous' by being local.

>>> . exim will retry sending if your smarthost is busy/unavailable,

OK. I have had instances of the 'sending' notice being there when I
come back after lunch.

>>> . it keeps logs,

Fair enough

>>> . it send emails on behalf of other processes, like cron jobs,
>>>   where your client is not involved.

Is that why email from cron doesn't happen sometimes, then magically
happens.

>>> I don't collect emails in Flo's sense, as I use IMAP rather than
>>> POP. So my INBOX is merely mutt's cache of individual emails,
>>> rather than a live mailfile. The actual server is somewhere around
>>> Manchester/Stockport.

I prefer imap as I check mail on 3 devices, but it's become too slow to
be workable, recently.   I do check back occasionally to see if the
connection to Germany is getting better. It is 20,000Km I suppose.

I had this thought as I completed that last sentence: should I use my
ISP as a collection point for my many addresses?

Thanks for a thought provoking response.   I'll be contemplating this
for a bit yet.

--

Keith Bainbridge

keith.bainbridge.3216@gmx.com