Re: 780 files in /usr/share/zoneinfo/

On Tuesday 24 November 2020 11:18:00 John Hasler wrote:

> Mike McClain writes:
> > I guess I'm just a little old fashioned. My first computer had
> > no storage
>
> Likewise.
>
> > ...and my first hard drive was 20M...
>
> Likewise.
>
> > ...so having a directory taking up 3.5MB when all I'm using there is
> > less than 10KB just doesn't sit well with me.
>
> I have 278GB of unused disk space on this machine.  3.5MB "wasted"
> does not bother me at all.  Back when I was coding in hex for the RCA
> 1802 and using audio cassettes for storage I worried about single
> bytes. Times have changed.

Now that brings back very OLD memories from about 1979 John, when I wrote
a commercial tv production aid to run on a CosMac Super Elf. That tv
station was still using it several times a day 15 years later, and I
have a broadcast cart with several copies of it, and a paper copy bagged
up for posterity on a library shelf above me. First useful program I
ever wrote and I still have fond memories for the weird architecture,
and that architectures capabilities, of the 1802. Every byte counted,
and dead stable despite using quite a bit of self-modifying code.

But you are right, times have changed. Now I'm 86 yo, and am writing
gcode to carve metal parts I need to make things. 5 linux machines
running full time here, this one has 32gigs of dram, not the 4k of
static ram I built from a $400 kit way back then, on an S-100 board.
Keeps me out of the bars don'tcha know.

Thanks for the memory tickle, John.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)