Re: 780 files in /usr/share/zoneinfo/

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:16:47PM -0600, Mike McClain wrote:
>     In over 20 years running Linux I've never found a use for that
> extra 3.5MB data and I wonder how many do. I'm curious Greg, how often
> have you used that data?

A few times a year, at most.  For others, it will depend on how often
you travel to other time zones, or interact with people in other time
zones, or would simply like to know what time it is in <place>.

unicorn:~$ date ; TZ=Asia/Hong_Kong date
Tue Nov 24 08:07:53 EST 2020
Tue Nov 24 21:07:53 HKT 2020

Then again, just figuring out the *name* of the target time zone is a
challenge in and of itself.