Re: Size of initrd

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 06:30:46PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Use unmkinitramfs. It appears you've only looked at the first archive,
> > the early one, which gets the kernel into shape. The second, main one
> > is the big one.
>
> OK, for those interested I tracked it down: indeed the machine with the
> larger initrd had MODULES=most instead of MODULES=dep.

My unqualified guess was modules, since that's the really fat part
of that cake.

> It took me some effort to figure out that it was actually
> LZMA-compressed as I had specified (the first CPIO archive, containing
> the intel microcode blob isn't, but the second is) [...]

I feel somewhat guilty, because my "solution" implied (as I thought at
the time) that initramfs is /just/ one cpio archive. I've been corrected
in the meantime.

Sorry for that. I know it's a sleazy way of learning -- spewing out some
nonsense, being corrected and caching that for the next time.

Your extra time was the collateral damage. I owe you a beer -- post-Covid.

Cheers
 - t