Re: Dual Win10/Linux on HDD+SDD installation & RTL8821CE

On 2020-11-23 09:10, Kanito 73 wrote:
Hello

Finally I bought the laptop with Ryzen 5, it arrived yesterday. At first I backed up (clonezilla) the whole brand new system (Windows 10) before running for first time to have a virgin copy of the original system. Today I will erase the disks to create partitions and install both Windows 10 and Linux, but I'm not sure about how to organize the space. The laptop comes with a 1Tb HDD and a 128Gb SDD. Windows 10 is installed on the 128Gb SDD and the whole 1Tb HDD is empty and available for data.

Well, I have two options to organize (partitionate) and want to hear (read) opinions:

OPTION 1:
- Install Windows 10 on the 1Tb HDD using 150Gb
- Leave the remainder of 1Tb HDD for NTFS data partition (shared for Win10+Linux)
- Install Debian 10 on the 128Gb SDD
(Can Linux run on "sdb" (Windows on "sda")?)

OPTION 2:
- Install Windows 10 on the 1Tb HDD using 150Gb
- Install Debian 10 on the 1Tb HDD using 150Gb
- Leave the remainder of 1Tb HDD for NTFS data partition (shared for Win10+Linux)
- Use the 128Gb SDD to edit/render FHD/4K video faster than in HDD

I guess that the original Windows 10 is on SDD to load faster and run programs slightly, but Linux is lighter, my current laptop has a normal HDD and never required it to load Linux or run programs faster (except for some games or apps used ocasionally). Windows is a big elephant while Linux is a cheetah. So I think it would be better to use the SDD rendering videos, I know the disk is short but once the videos are edited and rendered they are stored on external USB disk and probably I will begin to move to DVD since it is a lot of "dead space" on external disks that may have a more dynamic use.

About wifi... Do anybody use RTL8821CE with a latest Debian 10 kernel (package) without installing an external driver? My old laptop has RTL8723 that required to install rtlwifi_new driver (from GIT) but currently runs fine with the kernel driver, would it work also for RTL8821CE? I found a post in a forum saying that rtlwifi_new also supports RTL8821CE ...

Well, what do you think?

Thanks,
Mike

Please tell us why you want a laptop and how you plan to use it.

Make? Model? Part number? Components? Options? URL for technical specifications and manuals?

Which Windows edition?

What is the SSD form factor and interface?

A 128 GB system drive is too small today for a Windows daily driver, let alone a multi-boot Windows/ Linux enthusiast laptop.

Any HDD in a new laptop today is a waste of money.

Are you comfortable with opening the case and adding, removing, or changing components?

Are you interested in ECC memory?

What did you pay?  Can you return it?

What is your budget for upgrades or for a replacement laptop?

David