4Second DecTalk Delay? (fwd)

I am posting the below as requested.
Please send any solutions their way.
Thanks,

From: Chime Hart <chime@hubert-humphrey.com>
Subject: 4Second DecTalk Delay?

Hi All: Over the years, rather randemly, after ocasional changes in hard-drives, my DecTalk U S B has an anoying 4second delay after typing. Lots of internet searching as well as interacting with folks from our Linux community, think its an IO issue, but even the gentleman who sells this unit has no idea how to correct this delay, but to be fair, he is not a Linux person. I am running Debian Sid kernel 5.9.0.3 with Speakup which is my screen-reader. We tried running Emacsspeak which has a DecTalk server, but I got nowhere, including I know nothing about emacs. Can any1 who is quite familliar with these DecTalks please suggest a fix or commands I can type in directly?
For this topic, if you like, you can please write me directly at
chime@hubert-humphrey.com
I will be eternally greatful to Karen-and-others with solutions. Thanks so much in advance
Chime