From: Andrei POPESCU
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 6:00 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Dual Win10/Linux on HDD+SDD installation & RTL8821CE

On Lu, 23 nov 20, 17:10:56, Kanito 73 wrote:
> Hello
>
> Finally I bought the laptop with Ryzen 5, it arrived yesterday. At first I backed up (clonezilla) the whole brand new system (Windows 10) before running for first time to have a virgin copy of the original system. Today I will erase the disks to create partitions and install both Windows 10 and Linux, but I'm not sure about how to organize the space. The laptop comes with a 1Tb HDD and a 128Gb SDD. Windows 10 is installed on the 128Gb SDD and the whole 1Tb HDD is empty and available for data.
>
> Well, I have two options to organize (partitionate) and want to hear (read) opinions:
>
> OPTION 1:
> - Install Windows 10 on the 1Tb HDD using 150Gb
> - Leave the remainder of 1Tb HDD for NTFS data partition (shared for Win10+Linux)
> - Install Debian 10 on the 128Gb SDD
> (Can Linux run on "sdb" (Windows on "sda")?)
>
> OPTION 2:
> - Install Windows 10 on the 1Tb HDD using 150Gb
> - Install Debian 10 on the 1Tb HDD using 150Gb

A (slightly trimmed) LXDE installation is less than 10 GiB. Even if
Gnome or KDE are 3 times bigger, that's still only 30 GiB.

You could check the size of your current installation with something
like

    du -hx --max-depth=1 /

It will show you how the space is distributed among your top-level
directories (assuming all in one partition).

I'm guessing most of your space will be taken up by /home, which could
be its own partition on the HDD.

> - Leave the remainder of 1Tb HDD for NTFS data partition (shared for
> Win10+Linux)
> - Use the 128Gb SDD to edit/render FHD/4K video faster than in HDD
>
> I guess that the original Windows 10 is on SDD to load faster and run
> programs slightly, but Linux is lighter, my current laptop has a
> normal HDD and never required it to load Linux or run programs faster
> (except for some games or apps used ocasionally).

Debian will benefit from an SSD as well, just try it out ;)

> Windows is a big elephant while Linux is a cheetah. So I think it
> would be better to use the SDD rendering videos, I know the disk is
> short but once the videos are edited and rendered they are stored on
> external USB disk and probably I will begin to move to DVD since it is
> a lot of "dead space" on external disks that may have a more dynamic
> use.

Are you sure that operation will benefit from faster storage (as opposed
to more CPU and/or RAM)?

Kind regards,
Andrei