Re: Problem with /var/mail file > 2GB with pop3

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 07:24:37AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, November 23, 2020 06:15:09 AM Sven Hartge wrote:
> > Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> > > That's why we have IMAP, which doesn't use mbox.
> >
> > The IMAP protocal and the backend storage have no connection.
>
> Well, they do in a way -- if you use IMAP from your ISP for example, you don't
> need local storage on your email device (not any of mbox, maildir, or
> whatever).
>
> (I don't use IMAP (I use POP3), but I assume that if I were using IMAP as
> described, I could save emails on my local device, but I'm not clear on that
> mechanism / storage method.)

Thought I would just jump in.

Dovecot has "single instance attachment storage" (SIS) as well as its own native
mdbox binary format (multiple emails per file indexed efficiently).

The SIS is a feature that I am really excited about since we have multiple user
receiveing the same email - it really saves on storage space.

Kind regards,
Didar

--
"I can imagine no greater misfortune for a cultured people than to see in
 the hands of the rulers not only the civil, but also the religious power."