Re: Problem with /var/mail file > 2GB with pop3

On Sun 22 Nov 2020 at 18:57:46 (+0100), Flo wrote:
> On 2020-11-22 01:04, deloptes wrote:
> > David Wright wrote:
> >
> >> I can't understand how anyone would want to have a live INBOX
> >> file containing 2GB of emails. Apart from the risks, it just
> >> seems so disorganised.
> >
> > I don't even try - there are all kinds of people out there - and everybody
> > is free. And surprisingly the OP recompiles the package. In this case it is
> > enough to just point out the nonsense of the subject "Problem
> > with /var/mail file > 2GB with pop3".
>
> Let's assume an average message size of 20MB. Then 100 messages are
> enough to make it INBOX file that big. This doesn't necessarily mean
> that this is disorganized.

Let's assume an average word length of 10 characters, completely excessive.
That would give an email of 2 million words. That would give you about
4000 pages of single-spaced text. No one writes emails like that;
not even Proust, were he alive.

So these hefty emails are really files being transferred as attachments,
aren't they? And having been transferred, one would usually archive
the files, and move the emails out of the live INBOX into other mail
files or directories.

Perhaps not. What would be the advantage of leaving 100 such sizeable
files in a live INBOX?

Cheers,
David.