Re: Why use an email client AND sendmail/popa3d - Does this avoid the hijack?

On Mon 23 Nov 2020 at 14:27:36 (+1100), Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> So does htis get a new subject in the list?

It would appear so. I guess you could also have removed the Re:
from the subject line.

> I was interested to read that Flo, the OP, uses separate mail
> collection, sendmail and thunderbird. Some of the replies sound like
> this is a common practice.
>
> What are the advantages of this set of processes over letting tbird do
> it all? - or any other client for that matter?

Disadvantages of using your email client to send might include:
. sending is relatively instant as the client is dispatching
  it to the same machine, not the remote smarthost,
. exim will retry sending if your smarthost is busy/unavailable,
. it keeps logs,
. it send emails on behalf of other processes, like cron jobs,
  where your client is not involved.

I don't collect emails in Flo's sense, as I use IMAP rather than POP.
So my INBOX is merely mutt's cache of individual emails, rather than a
live mailfile. The actual server is somewhere around Manchester/Stockport.

> Would it save me from my fairly regular 'can't find profile' errors?

I don't use TB, which is where I assume you're getting those from.

Cheers,
David.