Re: Hijacking Threads [was: Re: rsync link corruption with -H and --link-dest]

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020, at 17:20, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 04:55:19PM +0000, Gareth Evans wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Thanks to all who have replied pointing out the issues.
>
> No worries. Things happen. No need to defend yourself, I hope.
>
> > In my defence, I don't use conversation view in general (so lack experience) and had imagined Fastmail's documented approach (for its webmail and app) to be standards-based:
> >
> > "Conversations get split apart and form new conversation threads when:
> >
> > 1. The subject changes
> >     This usually means a new topic is being discussed so a new conversation thread is formed.
> > [...]"
>
> Yeah. That's, sadly, something Outlook inflicted on us.
>
> > https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/conversations.html
> >
> > I now realise this is at odds with the relevant standards (and eg. Thunderbird's approach):
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading
> >
> > Anyway, apologies.
>
> It'd on me to apologise should I have created bad feelings.
>
> This mailing list is a big marketplace, and trying to point
> out conventions which help to keep communication easy is
> something I do from time to time. I try to convey things
> without being hurtful -- just tell me whenever I fail at
> that :)
>
> Cheers
> -- t
>
> Attachments:
> * signature.asc

Hi Tomas,

No problem at all, I appreciate such issues being pointed out.

For the record, I am in favour of getting people to learn how things actually (and/or are supposed to) work, rather than partial conventions or proprietary approaches which cause problems.  Email seems to be beset by such issues!

Best wishes,
Gareth