Re: rsync link corruption with -H and --link-dest

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 14:36:06 +0000
"Gareth Evans" <donotspam@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Nov 2020, at 08:44, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> > Please, don't hijack threads
>
> ...but what did I do wrong re thread hijacking?
>
> I understand that to mean changing the content of an existing thread, as a quick google seems to confirm.
>
> I did delete the content and change the subject of an existing email, which appears to me to create a new thread, rather than preserving "conversation" links to the deleted content/subject.
>
> Am I mistaken or did you mean something else?

In "proper" email systems, threading is determined by Message-ID,
References, and In-Reply-To headers, not the subject line and content:

https://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html

Non-"proper" emails systems, such as, IIRC, Gmail, may do threading
based on subject and content ;)

On a list like this, changing the subject line while leaving the other
headers in place will result in many users' MUAs still associating the
new message with the old thread, annoying those users. Just compose a
new message.

Celejar