Re: AppImage files (was: clipgrab as alternative to youtube-dl)

On 11/18/20 6:07 AM, Fred wrote:
On 11/17/20 11:47 PM, Anssi Saari wrote:
Fred <fred@blakemfg.com> writes:

There is a binary for Linux available for download as a AppImage
file. What is an AppImage file and what does one do with it. The
program was probably compiled for Ubuntu.  Is it likely to also run on
Debian?

AppImage files are a kind of package that contain an app and all its
dependencies so yes, it's very likely it'll run on Debian. All you have
to do is make the AppImage file executable and run it. I recently got
into these since I have a problem with the Firefox Debian bundles but
someone maintains a current Firefox build as AppImage.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.  I was able to get clipgrab to compile but the AppImage file is a later version and may be a better choice if it will run on Debian.

I am using it on a Ddevuan system and it works just fine.

Marc