Re: An old box running Debian 8

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:18:33PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
David Wright composed on 2020-11-18 09:46 (UTC-0600):

IIRC the Release Notes usually
recommend upgrading the kernel (its minor version upgrade) early
in the distribution upgrade process.
I don't recall ever seeing that. Curious.

Even though all my own installations are in multiboot, for Fedora, Mageia and
openSUSE, I prevent all automatic kernel upgrades, regardless whether major or
minor, dist-upgrade or otherwise. I can't recall any instance of a dist-upgrade
failing in any fashion because a newer kernel hadn't been installed.

There are definitely cases which will fail, but it's been a long time since that happened in debian--at least if you follow the guideline to never skip releases when upgrading.