Re: Fixing a Grub Foul-up

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 05:58, Martin McCormick <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:

>         If I look at grub.cfg and /etc/default/grub, everything
> looks as if it should work but it doesn't.

>       Is there a safe way to mount this drive, possibly using
> chroot, re-run grub-config and get the drive bootable again?

Yes, recovering grub is a routine operation, but you have to
get all the details correct.

> I've got backups but that's beside the point.

If you can easily access your backup of grub.cfg, try restoring
it to the problem drive and see if it works.

If that doesn't work, I suggest to post the grub.cfg that used to work here,
together with the output of 'lsblk -f' when all the drives that you need
to create a restoration setup are active.

That will help us guide you with much less guesswork.