vnc is making my cry

I have had vnc working in the past, then as of the past week or so, it
has stopped working.

I have spent many hours going in circles i feel. No matter what I try
the result is the same.

Basically, a black-white pixelated screen with a X curser (that I can
move), and that is about it.

I won't hypothesis with what I have been able to discern - as obviously,
it has not worked.

i have two different Debian 10 boxes, what I would like to access via
VNC so i don't need to attach KVM.

They have absolutely WORKED in the past, and I haven't meddled with them
in a way that would cause them

to break. I don't recall doing any updates (which normally I am slow to
do). So that adds to my perplexity.

They both have TightVNC installed, and the identical xstartup vnc file:

#!/bin/bash

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

startxfce4 &

They both have rw+x access to them. I can start the vncserver from the
command prompt just fine (normal users, without sudo), and even connect,
tried with sudo and with the actual root!

to both machines, but then just the aforementioned screens. I have tried
tunneling in via SSH, same result.

I have tried connecting from two different clients (running vnc
connect), one Mac OS and one Windows 10. All same result.

I have tried various xstartup files I have searched around online that
seemed like they might help, but nothing.

I have read through the log file

xrdb: No such file or directory

xrdb: can't open file '/home/username/.Xresources'

/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :1

I am running Gnome on both desktops. Ah! That's why the other one worked
in the past -- I was not running Gnome on it. But, that doesn't bring me
closer to a solution other than not running Gnome on the two machines,
which I would rather not do, they are robust enough to run Gnome.

Any advice help or encouragement would be appreciated.

Neo