Re: An old box running Debian 8

On 11/13/20 2:36 AM, Doug McGarrett wrote:

I have been only cursorily following here, since I don't use debian, but I wonder if you might consider upgrading your mother board to a new one the same size and shape, with a faster processor and probably more ram. Then the latest version of deb would surely work and well. It's a full afternoon's worth of work, more than likely, but you would have to see if you think it's worth it. A lot cheaper than replacing the whole machine, surely.
--doug

I see. But I think that any such hardware changes (CPU, RAM) are not worth. The idea is using that box until its EOL when something major dies. (And upgrade the OS & software until it becomes impossible.)

By the way ...

When it happens, I'll probably play the same 'upgrade game' with the next 'elderly' candidate (CPU Athlon XP 2500+ 1.84 GHz, 512 MB RAM). I purchased it some ten years ago as then second-hand, for some 70 US$, incl. CRT display, keyboard, mouse ... I have recently upgraded it from Deb 8 to 9, and the only issue was that after upgrade it did not want to boot in GUI at all (just stayed at blank screen). I resolved that by booting in CLI, and then startx to Mate (when needed).

Misko