Re: An old box running Debian 8

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 23:01:19 +0100
Miroslav Skoric <skoric@uns.ac.rs> wrote:

> And when bootable, what GUI might be workable at best (Mate,
> Xfce, ...)? As I said, for nothing much more than occasional
> Thunderbird, or any other compatible mail client that can use the
> CLI-based ham email server (FBB), to process pop3/smtp mails by using
> copy/paste by mouse click etc.
>
> At this stage (Debian 8) I do that in MATE + Thunderbird. It's slow
> but works. What is not known is whether that would work in Debian 9.

Ah. Consider a non-GUI mail user agent (MUA). Pine and elm are old
standards. heirloom-mailx is a very simple program. The most modern is
mutt. The main thing these will not do is handle HTML mail.

Of those, I would recommend mutt. It uses curses, so you get something
that acts something like a GUI. It is highly flexible and configurable.
Do, however, expect a learning curve.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com