Re: An old box running Debian 8

On 11/11/20 7:42 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

I have an old comp (CPU Pentium II Celeron 400 MHz, 224 MB RAM) running
ham radio server in Debian 8. It works well in CLI, but very slow after
starting GUI. I wonder whether it would be worth to try (if possible at
all) to upgrade it to Debian 9. Any experience with such old boxes?

Which WM or DE is your GUI running? Some use/need a lot more RAM than others. If
you want a full DE you might wish to try TDE, a fork of KDE3 initially created
when KDE went to version 4, 10 years ago. Its latest release is available for
Squeeze, Wheezy, Jesse, Stretch and Buster.
<https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions>

It is MATE (cannot remember the version). At first I removed all graphics, so it remained CLI-only Jesse. Then I installed Mate from the repository. Just for occasional use, not 24/7.

Btw, I did not even think of KDE or Gnome because they both were terribly slow even in Wheezy.

Did not much test MATE vs. Xfce or LXDE, regarding the speed.

Misko