Re: An old box running Debian 8

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:40:50 +0100
Miroslav Skoric <skoric@uns.ac.rs> wrote:

> I have an old comp (CPU Pentium II Celeron 400 MHz, 224 MB RAM)
> running ham radio server in Debian 8. It works well in CLI, but very
> slow after starting GUI. I wonder whether it would be worth to try
> (if possible at all) to upgrade it to Debian 9. Any experience with
> such old boxes?

It is not clear whether you are merely observing that it is slow with a
GUI running, or whether you would like to have a GUI, and are asking
for advice specifically there.

Assuming the latter, what do you want out of a GUI? An absolute minimal
GUI such as FVWM might serve you well enough, but I would not expect
miracles. Also consider a lightweight desktop such as XFCE. But I would
be surprised if that solution helped.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com