Re: MariaDB database under /home

On 11/11/2020 15:42, Nicolas George wrote:
Tony van der Hoff (12020-11-11):
It is known that the maintainers of MariaDB deprecate the database files
residing under /home, in fact going so far as making it an error, unless
/usr/lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service has ProtectHome=true commented out.

Now, this is all very well, and I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but
I want my databases to reside in /home. Unfortunately, each time there's an
upgrade to the package my preferred setting gets overwritten, resulting in
MariaDB failing to start, and my having to edit the service file on a number
of machines.

I'd consider this a bug, but is there at least any way of making my change
more permanent?

It is not a bug, only files residing in /etc can be modified by the
administrator.

I suggest you read about systemd's drop-in configuration files and the
edit command in the systemctl(1) man page.

Regards,

OK, I see, thanks.
For the archive a useful source might be:
https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/linux-tutorials/systemd-unit-configuration-files-explained.html

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |